Saturday, March 16, 2013

Family Tree

I keep walking and walking, taking some large steps here and small steps there along three journeys, but today was a wakeup call. My mother, whose health has been relatively poor since a stroke 15 years ago, is in the hospital with a broken ankle (thankfully nothing more severe), but in conversing with her and rehashing the family's health, I realized for the first time what weak roots I have, and how close they are to determining the reach of my health.


Risks abound on different branches of my family tree - diabetes, cancer and obesity are the largest looming shadows oft repeated among different family members both close and far, with a host of smaller conditions associated with each. Fortunately, some of my roots are stronger than others, and I have a very uneventful medical history myself. But what events may lie in my future health? Genetics always plays a role in how one's roots grow, but they aren't the only deciding factor.

I've recently begun adding houseplants back into my home decor, and I prefer to purchase smaller, more neglected plants - those on discount and clearance racks that so many have already given up on. With tender care and proper treatment, however, even a small, weak, or damaged plant can thrive again. And with the same consideration of my own care and treatment, I want to continue to thrive - for myself, for my husband, for my family. Time to take a few more steps for better diet, stronger exercise, and stress management.

I don't want to let my own stroke or heart attack be a final wake up call in my family tree, or a call so severe that there is no answer loud enough to change it; don't let a similar tragedy end your tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment